Monday, November 8, 2010

Caught in a Rip Current

Having Lyme Disease is like being caught in a rip current. I can see the shore; I can see my friends and family standing there waving to me, but no matter how hard I try to swim back to them, back to my old life, I'm just treading water.

In order to make it out of this rip current--my Lyme Disease--I have to be willing to swim parallel to the shore, not toward it. It doesn't seem logical. I can see my old life right in front of my eyes, and I want to swim as fast as I can straight toward it, but it is like a mirage. The more I grasp for a life I cannot have right now, the more it disappears. Peace and acceptance are hard to come by, but I am slowly learning their ways.

In order to have the things I want most in my life right now, I have to give them up. Not forever, but for now, because my body simply needs rest.

It seems odd that being static can make you grow the most. Like a person thrashing to get out of a rip current, my instinct is to run straight back to where I was before I got sick. I want to be the person I used to be, and do the things I used to do again. But I can't. I can't run toward that, because I am on a different journey. Physically, I am weaker than I have ever been in my life. Mentally, I am stronger than I've ever been in my life. So, I'm learning to stop thrashing and step out of the way so my body can do its job.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I needed some encouragement! I am encouraged by your progress from this day to today! Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete