Sunday, November 13, 2011

Does Debbie Downer Try To Write Your Blog?

Often, I struggle to find the right words for what I want to say without coming across as writing the most depressing tangle of words imaginable. Lyme disease is not an easy topic to write about without bringing the room down! But, since my biggest hope for my blog is to help others understand what it is like living with chronic Lyme disease, I know I can never achieve that by writing from the perspective of a Debbie Downer, so I try not to let her write my blog posts!


Writing about a difficult subject like Lyme disease is no easy feat. Think of it as being a master chef. For those really tough blog posts that you just can't seem to publish, here's my recipe for success: toss in a gallon of hope, two teaspoons of pain, four heaping cups of gratitude, a sprinkle of tears and two or more cups of laughter to sweeten things up. Add in a few dozen "followers" and cook at 350 degrees until golden brown or until people start "liking" your blog posts.

If you add in too much "pain" and not enough "hope" or "gratitude," your blog post might come out a little too dry and/or burn around the edges. Don't give up; next time just add in a little extra laughter to sweeten it up. Now, let's get cooking and see if this "recipe" works!

(HOPE) On 11-11-11, interestingly enough, I had Bicillin shot number 11, which I took as a sign of good luck! I also began an herbal treatment called the Cowden Support Program for my Lyme disease. Today I am on day three of the six month Cowden Protocol. (LAUGHTER) Three days down, only 187 more to go!

(PAIN) My horse had to have her feet trimmed yesterday and I literally felt like the walking dead. It took every ounce of strength in my body to get to and through that appointment. I was so sick, I didn't even have the energy to hug my beloved horse--who was so excited to see me. In my world, there is no such thing as too exhausted to hug a horse. (HOPE) Yesterday was a tough day, but I know without a doubt that I will beat Lyme disease and one day I will tolt off triumphantly into the sunset with my little pony!

(GRATITUDE) After I got back from the barn, I had a two hour massage (Lyme disease does have a few perks!), which was completely heavenly. It helped pull me out of my funk for a few hours and gave my mind and body temporary shelter from the storm.

(PAIN) I'm pretty sure it's the Bicillin that's kicking my butt. The last few shots have made me feel progressively worse and my Herxing symptoms are piling up. The first three days of the Cowden Protocol are pretty gentle and are intended to help your body detox. Tomorrow--day four of the new protocol--I start five new herbs and also have to have shot number 12 in the evening (LAUGHTER)(er, in the butt, if you'd like to be more technical).

(LAUGHTER) Things are probably going to be pretty intense tomorrow and I told my friend that I am going to wear my Badass Lyme Warrior Woman outfit, complete with convenient Bicillin butt flaps!

7 comments:

  1. I have been reading your posts, but little energy to post lately...You are so good with the right attitude, Alyson...often I am brutally honest and transparant and can bring people down...although I try to balance it out. Joel takes some of the cowden protocol, also buhners....a mix! Hope and pray it works well and you find yourself on the upside of this disease....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! Good work staying positive. I have trouble with that sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are great at keeping it real and positive. I try that too, yet sometimes, I feel like I fall off the wagon. I find it hard because I want to paint an accurate picture of what is going on, but also stay positive. Generally, my overall attitude is positive, but sometimes, I DO feel like a Debbie Downer.

    On the days when I feel like a downer, perhaps, I will look back at your post and try your recipe.

    You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    XOXO
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always great at keeping it positive! Thank you for that. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, my friend. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, I counted wrong. I start 8 new herbs in the Cowden Protocol tomorrow! Yikes! I don't know which is worse,starting that many new meds or my math skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that way a lot.... worry about being Debbie Downer... it kept me from writing anything at all for a really long time. I agree with you that it's important not to overlook the good... the butterfly kisses... in each day. So important. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is why I love your blog! Your posts are so uplifting. Im going to try this recipe. :-). Thank you!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete