Sunday, November 27, 2011

Is it any Wonder?

Is it any wonder that people think Lyme disease is all in our heads? After all, life with Lyme disease means...

riding on a horse one day;


riding in a wheelchair the next.




If that's not confusing enough, this is what I look like when I'm in excruciating pain:
(hint: I'm the one on the right)

On my good days, I don't look sick. On my bad days--unless I'm in a wheelchair--I still don't look sick. So how will the world know how badly a cure is needed for this painful and debilitating disease? That question nags at me day and night. I don't have the answer and I really wish I did.

I am only one person in this big, big world trying to spread awareness for chronic Lyme disease. Sometimes it feels like a lost cause, but I am trying and that's as good as I can do. I am reminded of this beautiful quote by Helen Keller, "I am only one, but I am still one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do."

3 comments:

  1. So very true Alsyon..things can change so quickly. And you do a great job of advocating and informing others about Lyme. Hope you are doing okay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Renee. You do such a good job at spreading the word about Lyme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I always love reading your posts. I love the pictures to demonstrate. On my worst days, sometimes-most of the time, I still look great.

    I also agree with Renee. You are fantastic at advocating and informing. I know I have learned a great deal from you, and it is so nice to read something from someone else that is so similar to your situation you could have written it! That makes me feel less crazy for sure. It is nice to know there are others out there and you are not alone. You and Renee both have been huge blessings to me time and time again.

    ReplyDelete